List Files In Directory Python
Last Updated : Aug 26, 2023
IN - Python
In this article we will show you the solution of list files in directory python, working with file systems and organizing data in Python requires the capability to list files in a listing.
A list of all the files existing in a given directory is obtained by visiting the directory in query.
The os.path package also offers beneficial tools for modifying file paths. Now move to the concept of list files in directory python.
Step By Step Guide On List Files In Directory Python :-
import os def list_files_in_directory(directory_path): file_list =  for root, dirs, files in os.walk(directory_path): for file in files: file_path = os.path.join(root, file) file_list.append(file_path) return file_list directory_path = '/path/to/directory' files = list_files_in_directory(directory_path) for file in files: print(file)
- The os module, which offers tools for dealing with the operating system, is the first to be imported.
- We can conduct operations relating to file & directory manipulation with the help of this module.
- The function list_files_in_directory, which accepts a directory_path as an input, is the next one we define.
- All files in the designated directory will be listed by this function.
- To save the file paths we discover, we build an empty list inside the method called file_list.
- Utilizing the directory hierarchy starting from directory_path, the os.walk() function is used.
- It returns a tuple with the root path, a list of folders, and a list of files for each iteration of os.walk().
- We use a for loop to repeatedly traverse through the files list because that is what we are interested in.
- To combine the root path & the current file name inside the loop, we use os.path.join().
- This provides us with the file's full path.
- This file path is added to the file_list.
- We return the file_list from the function after all the files have been processed.
- The desired directory_path, which is a string that represents the path to the directory we want to show the files from, is supplied outside the function.
- The directory_path is then sent to the list_files_in_directory function.
- We assign the list of file paths that the programme returns to the variable files.
- Finally, we traverse through each file in the files list using a for loop. We print the file path inside the loop.
As a result, we were able to understand the idea of list files in a directory in Python.
We also discovered how important it is to list files in a directory when doing file management as well as data processing operations.
Python has utility modules that make it easier to work with file paths like os and os.path and communicate with the operating system.
The os.walk() and os.path.join() routines can be used to continually explore the directory to retrieve file path names.
This functionality is crucial for undertaking tasks like data analysis, file manipulation, and creating file management systems.
I hope this article on list files in directory python helps you and the steps and method mentioned above are easy to follow and implement.