List All Files In A Directory Python
Last Updated : May 26, 2023
IN - Python
In this article we will show you the solution of list all files in a directory python, a number of file-handling functions and modules are built into Python. There are several modules that handle these functions, such as os, and os. path, shutil, and pathlib, for example.
Python's most commonly used functions get gathered together in this article so you can perform the most common operations on files.
An organizing structure that is used for storing and locating files or folders on a computer is called a directory, also called a folder.
Several APIs are now available for listing directory contents in Python.
In addition, we have Path. There are other options, including interdict, os.scandir, os.walk, Path.rglob,& os. listdir.
We will now discuss the idea of list all files in a directory python with example.
Step By Step Guide On List All Files In A Directory Python :-
import os path ="C:/workspace/python" #we shall store all the file names in this list filelist =  for root, dirs, files in os.walk(path): for file in files: #append the file name to the list filelist.append(os.path.join(root,file)) #print all the file names for name in filelist: print(name)
- As a first step, we specify the path to the directory from which we want to retrieve the files.
- In order to store all of the file names, we create a list called "filelist".
- Our recursive traversal of the directory and all subdirectories is performed using the os.walk(path) function.
- Our iteration of the os.walk(path) loop is followed by another loop which iterates through all of the current directory's files.
- Our full file paths are determined by joining root and file with os.path.join(root, file) (since root contains the current directory and file contains the file name).
- Filelist lists are appended with the full path to the files.
- We will have all of the file names in the filelist list after the os.walk(path) loop has completed.
- Our final step is to print out each file name as we iterate through the filelist list.
As a result, we have successfully learned how to list all files in a directory python.
The ability to access files is a key component of a coder's arsenal. Without a firm understanding of how to handle files, one cannot achieve much in the world of computer systems.
Having just learned how to get a list of files in a directory in Python, you're ready to apply it to your own project.
I hope this article on list all files in a directory python helps you and the steps and method mentioned above are easy to follow and implement.